Champlain College redesigns Software Development program for professionals in newly renamed Division of Continuing Professional

first_imgBURLINGTON, Vt.–Champlain College is responding to changing needs in the marketplace with a newly reformulated Software Development program through its continuing education division, which was recently renamed the Division of Continuing Professional Studies.Working adults and career changers may enroll in the new program to earn a bachelor’s degree, associates degree or a professional certificate–on campus or online.The last few years have brought significant changes in the nature and complexity of information systems development. “We reorganized our program to combine a solid knowledge of software development and Web development, because you really cannot separate them anymore,” said software program architect John Lavallee of the Division of Continuing Professional Studies.Champlain College turned to area employers, its faculty and an advisory board made up of industry professionals to determine the competencies that are required for tomorrow’s software developers. It was clear that professionals must be well-versed in three main areas of system development. Those who enroll in the redesigned program will better understand these areas: the database tier that supports the information used by a system; the application programs that process the information in the database; and the Web-based, front-end tier of the system that is accessed by a computer user.In addition to courses in database development, systems design, application security and project management, students will gain mastery in programming languages such as C++, Java, C#, ASP, JSP, HTML, Javascript, PHP, XML and CGI/PERL.”This program will be an asset to professionals who want to be on the cutting edge of computer applications and systems development, Lavallee said. Graduates will be prepared to hit the ground running.”Online and on-campus courses begin September 4. Tuition in the Division of Continuing Professional Studies increased only five percent over last year to come in this fall at $465/credit; most courses are three credits each.For information on the Software Development program, contact Champlain Colleges Division of Continuing Professional Studies through its new Web site at www.champlain.edu/cps(link is external) or at 888/545-3459 or [email protected](link sends e-mail).# # #last_img read more

WVMC dedicated hospital for COVID-19

first_imgWest VisayasState University Medical Center (WVSU-MC) has been designated as dedicatednon-COVID facility for service patients. In relatedstory, WVMC is now ready to accept specimens for COVID-19 testing. The Department of Health has designated Western Visayas Medical Center in Iloilo City as the health facility dedicated to coronavirus disease cases. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN WVMC willallocate 450 beds for confirmed COVID-19 cases, said Dr. Jane Juanico, DOH-6focal person on COVID-19. Aside fromconfirmed cases, WVMC will also accommodate persons under investigation (PUI)with severe signs and symptoms, PUI with mild signs and symptoms, elderly (withor without co-morbidities), non-elderly (with uncontrolled co-morbidities), andsevere acute respiratory infection (SARI) patients from Region 6. Protocols foradmission have been agreed, too, to efficiently manage the medical personneland resources of Iloilo City, said Juanico. WVSU-MC, amongothers, will allocate a total of 212 beds for non-COVID-19 cases from WVMC. ILOILO City –Western Visayas Medical Center (WVMC) in Mandurriao district has beendesignated as dedicated facility for confirmed coronavirus disease  2019 (COVID-19) cases in Region 6. WVMC shallfirst transfer the first 200 non-COVID-19 cases to WVSU-MC to accommodate theall confirmed COVID-19 cases and those PUI and SARI cases that they shouldcater. * allocate anadditional 10 percent (as part of their corporate social responsibility or CSR)of their authorized bed capacities for charity or service ward patients, inaddition to the 10 percent required by law; For its part,DOH-6 shall compensate the cost incurred by the hospitals for the 10 percent oftheir CSR; and form a committee to monitor and control the use of equipment andmedical supplies coming from private hospitals, institutions and privateindividuals that could augment the equipment and supply needs of the governmenthospitals especially the WVMC, Sanitarium and WVSU-MC, among others. But it mayalso be designated as a COVID hospital in case of an overflow of COVID-19 casesat the WVMC, said Juanico. * accommodatenon-COVID-19 patients referred by WVMC which cannot be admitted by WVSU-MC The WesternVisayas Sanitarium in Santa Barbara, Iloilo has been identified as dedicatedfacility for all PUIs (with mild signs and symptoms) and non-elderly withcontrolled co-morbidities. It willgradually free-up its patient bed capacities to reach the 450-bed capacity forCOVID-19 cases. “Before ginapadala naton sa Manila orCebu, subong diri na sya available,”said DOH regional director Dr. Marlyn Convocar. * ifclassified a Level 2 Tertiary Hospital, shall accommodate excess non-COVID-19patients if the Level 3 Tertiary Hospitals’ 20 percent authorized bedcapacities have been saturated A memorandumof agreement (MOA) for this was inked by the Department of Health (DOH) Region6, government and private hospitals here. Meanwhile,private hospitals (such as Saint Paul’s Hospital Iloilo, Iloilo MissionHospital, Iloilo Doctors’ Hospital, Qualimed, Amosup Seamen’s Hospital, TheMedical City, Medicus Medical Center, and Metro Iloilo Hospital and MedicalCenter), subject to their respective policies on service case studies, agreedon the following: She also saidWestern Visayas “is assured of 5,000 COVID-19 test kits from the DOH centraloffice./PN * ifclassified a Level 3 Tertiary Hospital, shall be the first to absorb thepatients of WVSU-MC coming from WVMC; andlast_img read more

A major-league baseball vs. a Triple-A ball: Can players tell the difference?

first_img“It feels smaller,” he said of the major league ball. “You can feel more of the seams.”Catcher Francisco Arcia produced the correct answer in two seconds. He was tipped off by the same clue as Alvarez: the seams. To the naked eye, anyone could see the red laces lay flatter but wider against the PCL ball’s seams. Major league laces looked thinner but protruded more from the surface of the ball. Baseball players didn’t even need the naked eye to know the difference.Outfielder Kole Calhoun, who has played 10 minor league rehab games in the last five years, aced the test too. The players were 3 for 3.Then came outfielder Jabari Blash. He needed more time than his teammates. Blash switched the balls between his hands before producing an answer – and got it wrong.“What!” he exclaimed, opening his eyes to the embarrassing truth.Blash has played 83 games in the PCL this season and 22 in the majors. He clearly didn’t want to be the only Angel to fail the test, and suddenly I had a research assistant.“Kaleb, I got something for you,” Blash said to teammate Kaleb Cowart. “Close your eyes and put your hands out.”Cowart obliged. Blash handed him the baseballs. Fifteen seconds later, Cowart had the correct answer.“Awwww,” Blash said.“It’s softer,” Cowart said of the PCL ball. “It’s guaranteed softer – to me. The seams are a little bit softer, too. That one (the MLB ball) just feels rock hard. I’ve played a long time in the PCL so I know.”Rookie third baseman Taylor Ward got it right too. Simmons, who hasn’t touched a minor league ball since a 2016 rehab assignment, got it wrong on his first try. He re-took the test for his own satisfaction, but at least now Blash had a partner in embarrassment.Rookie outfielder Michael Hermosillo passed the test without hesitation.“The first time I picked up (an MLB ball) I couldn’t grip it,” he said. “The big league ball’s way slicker.”Eric Young Jr. passed the test. Justin Upton – who’s played 15 PCL games in his life, none in the last 10 years – did not. Rookie Sherman Johnson got it right the first time, wrong the second time (a thorough research assistant, Blash made him try it again) and correct the third.“The ball moves up here more,” Johnson said. “Even as an infielder, I couldn’t control it.”Pitcher Tyler Skaggs needed three seconds to pass the test. Noe Ramirez needed 10. Finally, I found two pitchers who failed: Andrew Heaney and Taylor Cole. Of the 14 participants in the experiment, nine produced the correct answer.Before I could tally the results, a funny thing happened. A roundtable discussion broke out among a group of pitchers in one corner of the clubhouse: Heaney, Cole, Ramirez and Deck McGuire. Each had already formed anecdotal observations about the differences between the two balls, and what it meant for their craft on a practical level. Now they had direct evidence of the differences staring them in the face.In the majors, Cole said, “I just feel like my stuff’s better, to be honest. My stuff’s sharper.”Cole, a 29-year-old rookie, has a 2.94 ERA in 17 games as an Angel. He had a 5.37 ERA in the PCL. He never mentioned getting better movement with a major league ball, or a better grip, and I never thought to ask.“It’s not like you can pick it up and throw it,” Cole said. “It took me a while to get used to it.”McGuire, a journeyman who debuted last year at age 28, said he’d heard about the baseballs being different before experiencing it for himself. The first time he was invited to major league spring training, McGuire wanted a fresh box of balls so he could get acclimated before camp opened. Having never bought major league baseballs on his own, McGuire didn’t realize how expensive they were – “it was like $150!” he said – and ultimately decided to pass.Related Articles Angels’ Shohei Ohtani spending downtime working in outfield ANAHEIM — Andrelton Simmons leaned into the black reclining chair at his locker in the Angels’ clubhouse, his eyes closed. Beneath his seat, Simmons bounced a baseball off the floor, from his left hand to his right hand, back and forth, over and over. The shortstop was steeped in trance-like concentration as he studied the sensation of the ball’s leather surface against his fingertips. This was a test.“I feel like it’s a BP ball,” Simmons said. “The seams are higher. Where did you get this?”Batting practice, I confessed.It was October 2017. Dodger Stadium. While the players took BP, a ball rolled to my feet in foul territory as if drawn by magnetic force. I picked it up and scanned my surroundings. No one seemed to be looking for a baseball, so I pocketed my pillage. A month later I received an official Pacific Coast League baseball (by request) in the mail. The two balls gathered dust for the better part of a year, their fate undetermined. Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros Angels’ Mike Trout working on his defense, thanks to Twitter Minor League Baseball announced recently that both Triple-A leagues would use baseballs manufactured to major-league specifications in 2019. The minor league balls were previously manufactured at Rawlings’ plant in China. Rawlings makes its major league balls in Costa Rica, where the league announced in May that it would be scrutinizing the manufacturing process more closely.Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.Other than the stamp on their covers, the PCL and MLB baseballs should be the same next year. I was curious to know how much of a difference that would make.Fortunately, I had the raw materials to conduct an experiment. With a willing group of test subjects in the Angels’ clubhouse, I set out to answer a simple question: Could a baseball player close his eyes, hold a PCL ball in one hand, an MLB ball in the other, and tell which one is which?For the most part, the answer was yes. How the experiment unfolded was more interesting than the actual results.Pitcher Jose Alvarez needed about three seconds to determine the correct answer.center_img Angels’ poor pitching spoils an Albert Pujols milestone Jose Suarez’s rocky start sinks Angels in loss to Astros The impromptu committee concluded that switching to major league balls would ultimately favor the Triple-A hitters.“Those games will never end,” one pitcher quipped.That would be a big difference indeed.Minor League Baseball already introduced rules designed to speed up games this year, notably a runner on second base to begin every extra inning. Maybe those rules will be more useful than anticipated. Maybe the adjustment from Double-A to Triple-A will become a bigger leap for pitchers than their first promotion to the majors. And maybe MLB can oversee Rawlings’ plant in China with the same scrutiny it recently introduced in Costa Rica.After all, shouldn’t that little white sphere be the same piece of equipment no matter where baseball is played? Should players really be able to notice a difference? Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Wellington Police Notes: Friday, Sept. 9 – Sunday, Sept. 11, 2016

first_imgWellington Police note: Friday, Sept. 9 – Sunday, Sept. 11, 2016:Friday, September 9, 2016•6:15 a.m. Officers took a report of a vicious animal in the 500 block N. Gardner, Wellington.•7:55 a.m. Officers investigated criminal damage to a tool box in the 800 block N. Woodlawn, Wellington.•9:25 a.m. Officers investigated a burglary in the 200 block W. Botkin, Wellington.•Lindsey A. Garmon, 31, Wellington was served a summons to appear for theft.•11:12 a.m. Officers investigated a burglary of a bicycle in the 200 block W. Botkin, Wellington.•1:16 a.m. Officers investigated domestic battery and criminal damage to property in the 1400 block E. Michigan, Wellington.•11:52 a.m. Austin D. Prindle, 18, Wellington was arrested and charged with domestic battery and criminal damage to property.1:53 p.m. Officers investigated a theft in the 2000 block E. 16th, Wellington by known suspect.•4:15 p.m. Officers took a report of found wallet in the county. It was returned to owner.•8:40 p.m. Officers took a report of a child custody dispute in the 2000 block E. 7th, Wellington.•9:11 p.m. Officer took a report of suspicious activity in the 100 block N. Washington, Wellington.•10:28 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1400 block N. Washington, Wellington.Saturday, September 10, 2016•12:55 a.m. Officers took a report of a mental subject in the 1000 block W. College, Wellington.•9:15 a.m. Rebecca L. Camacho, 54, Wellington was issued a notice to appear for speeding 34 mph in a 20 mph zone.•2 p.m. Stuart K. Yearout, 31, Wichita, was issued a notice to appear for speeding 43 mph in a 30 mph zone (radar) and disobeyed traffic signal.•3:47 p.m. Officers investigated a battery in the 1100 block W. Harvey, Wellington by known suspect.•4:10 p.m. Officers investigated a theft in the 800 block E. 16th, Wellington by known suspect.•4:20 p.m. Officers investigated possession of marijuana in the 1100 block W. l8th, Wellington.•4:45 p.m. Leasha T. Barnett, 24, Wellington was arrested, charged and confined with possession of marijuana.•7:30 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 2000 block E. 16th, Wellington.Sunday, September 11, 2016•1:21 a.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1700 block N. B, Wellington.•2:54 a.m. Officers took a report of a domestic dispute by a known subject(s) in the 1000 block Shadylane, Wellington.•11:33 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of a purse and criminal damage to a vehicle window in the 100 block W. 9th, Wellington.•11:58 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of a vehicle in the 100 block W. 9th, Wellington.•12:17 p.m. Officers investigated criminal damage to headphones and theft in the 200 block W. Harvey, Wellington.•12:28 p.m. Officers took a report of a domestic dispute in the 800 block E. Lincoln, Wellington by known subject(s).•12:49 p.m. Officers took a report of a dog at large in the 400 block W. Harvey, Wellington.•1:26 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 200 block N. C, Wellington.•6:54 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 1200 block N. C, Wellington.last_img read more

Forest City Labor Day Country Thunder concert canceled

first_imgFOREST CITY — The Country Thunder 2020 Music Festival in Forest City that was moved to Labor Day over concerns about the coronavirus outbreak has now been canceled until 2021.Country Thunder’s Gerry Krochak  says the decision game after they looked at a number of factors. “I don’t think it was any one thing, but I guess when somebody asks us for a specific reason– the standard line is 2020 happened,” Krochak say. “And until we can get to a point where we can feel good about putting on this event, where we can feel that all of our fans, performers and staff are going to feel safe — just as importantly they are going to feel comfortable gathering in large crowds — this is the right decision at this time.”Krochak says the it is a sad move for the entire Country Thunder organization. “It’s disappointing. It’s disappointing for all the events that we’ve had to push to 2021. But I also believe that good things are gonna come to those who wait,” according to Krochak. “And we are as much of the fans itching to get back to it. We’ve all fallen in love with that amazing site in Forest City, Iowa at Heritage Park, and we’ve got next summer to look forward to and a great lineup.”The line up for 2020 will return for next year including Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kane Brown, Old Dominion, Clay Walker, and Lonestar. Morgan Wallen has been added to the lineup for next year and the list continues to grow. He says Skynard is in its 50th anniversary tour and that will now be the 51st, and he says Morgan Wallen is the next big act.All ticketing options will be automatically honored for the rescheduled 2021 dates. Ticket holders will receive additional information via email on Friday, August 14th.last_img read more

AC Milan striker’s agent plays down Chelsea and Liverpool transfer links

first_imgChelsea and Liverpool target Carlos Bacca is happy at AC Milan, according to the striker’s agent.The Colombia international has been in fine form this season and has 15 goals in all competitions.The 29-year-old only moved to the San Siro last summer, but there is already talk he could be off at the end of the season.Chelsea and Liverpool have both been linked with moves for Bacca, while Carlo Ancelotti reportedly wants to sign him for Bayern Munich when he takes over in the summer.However, the striker’s agent, Sergio Barila, claims that his client is very happy in Milan right now.“It’s nice that so many clubs in Europe are following him,” Barila told MilanNews.“It’s normal when these teams are looking for a great striker for next season. Bacca is one of the best strikers in the world, but he has a contract with Milan.“He’s very happy with the Rossoneri, he’s concentrated on the Coppa Italia final and the last few games of the season.” 1 Carlos Bacca [left] in action for AC Milan last_img read more