By Dialogo March 29, 2012 SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic – Dominican counter-narcotics agents seized 1.5 metric tons (3,306 pounds) of cocaine off a speedboat, arrested three Venezuelans and are pursuing six other suspects allegedly linked to a drug kingpin arrested last year. The seizure, which concluded a months-long investigation called “Operation Earthquake,” marks the country’s biggest drug bust of the year. It also adds to a string of high-profile operations in which Dominican authorities have seized thousands of pounds of cocaine. “Operation Earthquake” was carried out during the morning hours of March 25 near the Caribbean beach town Juan Dolio. National Drug Control Directorate (DNCD) officials said the vessel, a 40-foot speedboat with three 250-horsepower outboard motors, had been tracked from the Guajira Peninsula on Colombia’s Caribbean coast near the Venezuelan border. The Dominican Tactical Division of Sensitive Investigations, an elite unit in the country’s counter-narcotics fight, began tracking the boat when it was about 100 miles south of the Dominican coast. The DNCD, National Police, and U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) agents converged, confiscating 1,236 packets of cocaine and arresting the three individuals. Aboard the boat, agents found sophisticated communication devices and night vision equipment the alleged traffickers used for navigation. The three arrested Venezuelans were identified as Richard Chirino Primera, Eliezer Hernández Guanita, and Cruz Rafael Natera Fermín. Additionally, DNCD officials said they are close to arresting six Dominicans they believe were supposed to receive the cocaine. The individuals were allegedly part of a drug trafficking ring linked to Ramón Antonio del Rosario Puente, a kingpin who was arrested last year and extradited to Puerto Rico at the request of U.S. federal authorities, who then had him transferred to New York. Rosario, known as “Toño Leña,” is accused of running drugs from eastern Dominican Republic into Puerto Rico as part of a massive narco-trafficking operation overseen by José Figueroa Agosto, who has been called the “Pablo Escobar of the Caribbean.” Figueroa Agosto was apprehended last year in Puerto Rico and is serving a 209-year prison sentence in New York. He also recently pleaded guilty to drug-trafficking charges in a U.S. Federal Court in Puerto Rico. His punishment for those crimes will be added to his sentence. Rosario has denied any links to Figueroa Agosto. But DNCD officials said pieces of the criminal organization are still in place in the Dominican Republic. “This network of drug traffickers uses the services of Venezuelans, Colombians and the remnants of the Toño Leña band to bring narcotics to the country and then to the United States and Europe,” said Gen. Rolando Rosado Mateo, chief of the DNCD. “These individuals were in charge of directing and coordinating the drug trafficking operations in the Dominican Republic.” The cocaine seized in the operation was sent to a laboratory where it was to be tested for purity and weighed. DNCD officials said the cocaine had a street value of US$75 million. It was the third major bust for Dominican authorities in little more than a month. On March 14, the DNCD confiscated 807.4 kilograms (1,780 pounds) of cocaine from a shipping container aboard an ocean liner docked in the Caucedo Port. The drug had been divided into smaller packets and stashed inside bails of tobacco that were bound for Port of Valencia, Spain. Eight people were arrested in the operation. On Feb. 22, the DNCD carried out “Operation Volcano,” a two-month investigation that led to the seizure of 633 kilograms (1,392 pounds) of cocaine that was allegedly being trafficked by boat from South America to Puerto Rico via the Dominican’s southern coast. The prevalence of maritime seizures reflects a growing concern by Dominican authorities. The country virtually eliminated illicit drug flights from South America when it began to deploy its own aircrafts. The reduction in drug flights, however, “has resulted in redoubled efforts by traffickers to use maritime methods such as go-fast boats, privately-owned fishing and recreational vehicles, and cargo containers,” Aníbal de Castro, the Dominican Ambassador to the U.S., said in February during a hearing on Caribbean drug trafficking. The big seizures in the early months of 2012 followed a year in which the DNCD and other counter-narcotics authorities set a record for cocaine seizures. In 2011, authorities seized 6,715 kilograms (about 14,804 pounds) of cocaine, a 48% increase from the previous year when authorities confiscated 4,527 kilograms (9,980 pounds), according to statistics from the DNCD.
Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on December 19, 2016 at 9:32 pm
Donegal County Council has launched an investigation following a slurry leak from a farm near St Johnston.The action was taken have the council responded to a complaint from a member of the public in the area late yesterday afternoon.The person said it appeared that cattle slurry had become present in a stream known as the St. Johnston Burn, as it passed through the village. Council staff from the Water and Environment Service working in collaboration with Fisheries Officers from the Lough’s Agency carried out an extensive investigation in the catchment.The investigators were successful in tracing the source of the polluting matter to a farm approximately 8km upstream of the village, where the release of an unknown quantity of slurry had occurred the previous day.The Lough’s Agency Fisheries Officers have confirmed that a significant quantity of dead juvenile fish have been found in the lower section of the Burn as it discharges into the River Foyle.The Lough’s Agency and Donegal County Council will continue to work closely to monitor the discharge point source and water-course over the coming days and weeks and pursue enforcement action as appropriate A council spokesman said this incident has highlighted the importance for farmers and contractors to take extreme care to avoid the discharge of slurry and contaminated water into water-courses, during what is a very busy time for them, and to immediately report any accidental discharges to the Council and either the Lough’s Agency or Inland Fisheries Ireland.The importance of early and effective intervention by the farmer/contractor and state agencies can help to reduce the impact of such discharges on the fish population and the environment in general.Donegal County Council is not in a position to add any further comment at this point in time.Council clampdown after slurry pollutes Donegal stream was last modified: July 12th, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:councildonegalslurrySt Johnston