Ghanaian Foreign Minister Pays Two-Day Visit to Liberia

first_imgThe Minister of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration of the Republic of Ghana, Ms. Hanna Serwaa Tetteh is in Liberia on an official two-day visit, beginning Monday, June 16.A Foreign Ministry release says Foreign Minister Tetteh who is also the Chairperson of the ECOWAS Council of Ministers at the head of a three-man delegation, will pay a courtesy call on President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.The Ghanaian Foreign Minister will on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 also hold bilateral discussions with Liberia’s Foreign Minister, Augustine Kpehe Ngafuan, and a General Framework Agreement for Cooperation between the two Governments will be signed in the C. Cecil Dennis Auditorium of the Foreign Ministry.According to the release, the Agreement between the two countries will signal the establishment of a Permanent Joint Commission.Under the Agreement, the two governments will seek to expand cooperation in mutually rewarding areas including Economic, Trade and Investment, Energy and Mineral resources, Agriculture and Livestock Development, Education Health, Tourism and Culture, Science and Technology, Security and Military Cooperation, as well as Foreign Affairs, Legal and judicial matters aimed at solidifying and strengthening the existing friendly relations between both countries.Minister Tetteh, who is also a Member of the Ghanaian Parliament will later head to the Ghanaian Embassy in Sinkor prior to her departure on Tuesday.Prior to her appointment as Foreign Minister in February of 2013, she served as the Minister of Trade and Industry for the entire four-year period in the previous term of the Government of the National Democratic Congress. Prior to that post, she was a member of the Economic Management Team, the National Development Planning Commission, the Millennium Development Authority Board and the Chairperson of the Ghana Free Zones Board, among others.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

UP Bleeds

first_imgBarely a day following the resignation of two Unity Party (UP) stalwarts, former Liberia’s Ambassador to United States, Canada and Mexico, Jeremiah C. Sulunteh, has officially quit from the ruling party. Political observers say the recently exodus from the UP is not a good sign for the party as the October elections is just about eight months away. Amb. Sulunteh also served as senior national vice chairman that successfully concluded with the re-election of President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.Mr. Harrison S. Karnwea Sr, Managing Director of the Forest Development Authority (FDA) and Dr. Kadiker Rex Dahn tendered in their respective resignation the UP earlier this week, joining Musa Hassan Bility, who joined the opposition Liberty Party (LP) from UP late last year. In his letter of resignation, dated February 15, Sulunteh told UP National Chairman Wilmot Paye that his decision to quit the party is predicated on the need for him to have an independent mind to focus on his future endeavors.“I present sincere greetings and best wishes from my family to you, the executive committee, officials and members of the Unity Party informing you of my decision to disengage with the party effective immediately as of the date,” Sulunteh told Paye.He said political parties are institutions where people gather with a shared vision and common goal, and therefore Sulunteh did not fail to tell his former chairman how well he enjoyed his relationship with the party. “It was a real pleasure to have worked and served over the years and to have been a proud member of the team that elected the leadership of President Sirleaf in two successive elections,” he said.Sulunteh said for the sake of unity in Bong County, and in order to save the soul of the UP, “we have come to withdraw our membership from the party with immediate effect.”He then thanked President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf for the opportunity to support the party for the past 12 years.He did not reveal his next move, but there have been recent speculations that he is to join ranks with the Alternative National Congress (ANC) as running mate to businessman Alexander Cummings, a report Sulunteh denied.However, political pundits said his departure from the UP stemmed from the party’s failure to elect him as delegate during the July 2016 National Convention in Gbarnga. Sulunteh’s exit from the party will also provide time for the Vice President Joseph Boakai to name his running mate as standard bearer of UP.Sulunteh told journalists in Monrovia yesterday that during his campaign for the position of senior national vice chairman of the UP, he promised to work with other party leaders to ensure the aspirations of the silent majority are addressed.Over the years, however, as in the case of other political institutions, the UP has also experienced lapses in the implementation of its own promises. “When some of us pointed to these lapses and proffered suggestions, we were branded as internal opposition in the party,” Sulunteh added.Meanwhile, many political observers, having learned of Sulunteh’s quitting the UP, have described it as a blow, because for the last eleven years, he has enjoyed a close working relationship with President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Miner remanded for assault

first_imgRuben Baird, a miner, has been remanded to prison until March 5 by Principal Magistrate Judy Latchman for unlawful assault committed on Jerry James and Ruby Alonzo.The court was told that the incident occurred on February 25, 2018 at William Street, Imbaimadai, North-West District, when, under the influence of alcohol, Baird unlawfully and maliciously inflicted grievous bodily harm on the virtual complainants by dealing them several lashes about their bodies.Police Prosecutor Moore, objecting to the defendant being placed on bail, cited the serious nature of the offences and the penalty the charges attract.last_img read more

Stabbing case held over until Wednesday

first_imgThe case against two people arrested in connection with the Josh Lequiere murder has been put off until Wednesday.- Advertisement – Very few details are available at this time, but our RCMP contacts have confirmed the case has been put off until Wednesday morning. Both the defense and Crown needed more time to review the case.On Saturday the RCMP arrested a 31 year-old male in a Fort St. John residence in connection with the stabbing. On Friday, a 28 year-old female turned herself into Police.At issue was the early morning stabbing, that resulted in the death last Thursday, of 28 year old Joshua James Lequiere whom police found wounded, in a pickup, in an apartment parking lot, on 93rd “A” Street.Police do not believe his murder was a random incident.Advertisement **Update – for more on this story, click herelast_img read more

Injuries give Saunders a rotation spot

first_imgGary Matthews Jr. is showing that the pressure of being implicated in baseball’s latest scandal might not hurt his play on the field. Matthews, who was named this week in an investigation of pharmacies selling human growth hormone, crushed a home run to right field. It was Matthews’ first right-handed at-bat in Cactus League play after going 0-for-4 from the left side. Despite the fact his long-toss sessions have been stalled in the 110- to 130-foot range, Weaver insists he is making progress on his sore biceps every time he throws. The biggest reason for his optimism came at the start of camp when he found out he had nothing more than tendinitis. “After I got the MRI results that were negative, it kind of kicked me in the (rear) and made me work harder to get ready,” Weaver said. With John Lackey out as starter today because of bronchitis, Hector Carrasco will take the mound against the Colorado Rockies at Tucson. Dustin Moseley also will pitch today. Carrasco, Moseley and even Chris Bootcheck have been mentioned as possible starters if Weaver is not ready to go at the start of the season. Brandon Wood continues to impress at third base, proving that the transition from shortstop will not be a tough one. Wood made a tough play to his left and another to his right on a diving stop in the ninth inning to take away an extra-base hit. “That last play was incredible with a bad hop and a strong throw to first,” Scioscia said. “There will be a progression. He’s going to have to experience plays in on the grass and go to his left. The two he made today were terrific, though.” In addition to Saunders, Weaver also had his contract renewed. The Angels also came to contract terms with nine players: Erick Aybar, Maicer Izturis, Greg Jones, Dallas McPherson, Tommy Murphy, Mike Napoli, Chris Resop, Ervin Santana and Reggie Willits. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The left-hander made his spring debut against the Chicago Cubs and pitched a solid two innings, allowing a home run to Matt Murton but nothing else. He gave up a walk and recorded four of his six outs on fly balls to Vladimir Guerrero in right field. “I located for the most part,” said Saunders, who had his contract renewed by the club Friday. “That one pitch to Murton I tried to go in and left it out over the plate a little bit and he hit it good. Other than that, I felt my command was pretty good so I was pretty happy.” You can excuse Saunders if he feels like he is in limbo this spring. As soon as Jered Weaver and Bartolo Colon are fit enough to join the rotation, the Angels are expected to send their insurance policy back to Triple A. Weaver’s status remains up in the air, while Colon isn’t expected to be back until mid summer at the earliest even though he has been impressing manager Mike Scioscia of late with his progress in rehab. So Saunders forges on like an intern who has to return back to college in the fall. “For right now, I think hopefully I have a spot,” he said. “I don’t know what Bartolo is doing or what his schedule’s like so all the best for him. I hope he gets back healthy and see where it takes us. “I know he’s a great pitcher and obviously if he’s healthy and ready to go they’re going to have him up here. I know where my place is, and it’s a little discouraging, but that’s the way it is right now.” Playing pepper center_img MESA, Ariz. – Joe Saunders might have made a splash last season, but he still is fighting for name recognition. On a board entering the concourse at HoHoKam Park on Friday, the Angels’ starting pitcher was listed as “Jose” Saunders. last_img read more

Insider trading: Chelsea’s John Stones alternative, Erik Lamela to leave Tottenham and more

first_imgtalkSPORT’s transfer guru, Warren Haughton, joins Hawksbee and Jacobs to round up all the very latest rumours and gossip.He brings us the latest on Liverpool exports Mario Balotelli and Lucas Leiva.He talks about the negotiations involving Erik Lamela and how he may be on his way out of the Premier League with Inter Milan interested in taking him on loan.Chelsea seem to have turned their attentions away from John Stones and towards Argentina defender Ezequiel Garay from Zenit Saint Petersburg.And, as ever, the latest on the on-going saga of Kevin De Bruyne to Manchester City from Wolfsburg is discussed.Here’s some of the top transfer rumours on talkSPORT.com:John Stones latest: Everton defender slaps transfer request to try and force Chelsea moveSaudi Arabian club confirm capture of West Ham forward Modibo MaigaChelsea winger Juan Cuadrado edges closer to Juventus switchExclusive: Arsenal must sign 25-goals-a-season striker claims former Gunners bossMario Balotelli latest: Liverpool striker undergoing AC Milan medical ahead of loan moveReal Sociedad boss David Moyes poised to win £12m race for Liverpool-linked ahead Asier IllarramendiLiverpool blow! Valencia closing in of deal with Real Madrid winger Denis CheryshevExclusive: Former West Brom manager tells Saido Berahino and John Stones to stay where they areAston Villa transfer news: Tim Sherwood in talks over deal for Roma winger Adem LjajicManchester United ready to hijack Manchester City move for Kevin De Bruyne in stunning £55m bidChelsea target Argentina defender Ezequiel Garay as Everton stand firm over John StonesNapoli slap £10m price tag on Southampton defensive target Kalidou KoulibalyBarcelona president rubbishes Neymar £240m Manchester United move rumoursReports: Turkish giants compete for Manchester United outcastBarcelona could hijack Everton’s pursuit of Ukrainian playmaker Andriy YarmolenkoWest Brom reject second bid for Tottenham striker Saido BerahinoAston Villa transfer reports: Roma reject surprise move for former Arsenal man GervinhoTottenham transfer reports: Saint-Etienne’s Jeremy Clement linked to White Hart Lane switchlast_img read more

DWP wants wind power for LA

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power will increase its renewable energy resources 3 percent by 2009 under two wind power agreements approved today by the City Council. One agreement between the Southern California Public Power Agency, of which the DWP is a member, and Pebble Springs Wind will provide Los Angeles with enough wind power to serve 32,100 households when a generating facility opens in Oregon in December 2008. The second agreement, with UPC Wind, will provide energy to 39,000 homes when the Utah-based Milford Wind plant opens in two years. “These agreements represent important steps forward in our efforts to meet the mayor’s and LADWP’s policy of obtaining 20 percent renewable energy by 2010 and complying with the provisions of AB 32 to reduce our carbon footprint,” said DWP General Manager H. David Nahai. “Every megawatt of wind or other renewable resource we can provide is one more megawatt that works in harmony with the environment, rather than devastates it.” Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa wants 20 percent of the city’s energy to come from renewable sources by 2010. “These wind power agreements are critical to making Los Angeles the greenest, cleanest big city in America. Cutting our carbon footprint is not just a lofty goal — it’s the great legacy we as a city can leave our children,” Villaraigosa said.last_img read more

DONEGAL ROCKERS MOJO GOGO NAMED IN TOP FESTIVAL LINE-UP

first_imgPlaying with Elvis: Mojo GoGoIT’S becoming the gig where everyone wants to go in June – and now Donegal will be in the line-up.Donegal rockers Mojo Gogo say they are delighted after being included in the Westport Festival – playing on Saturday June 29.They will be in good company. Headliners include, Elvis Costello, Imelda May and Blind Boys of Alabama.Mojo Gogo may be based in Derry but they’re Donegal to the core – made up of all Donegal lads: Niki Pollock and Paul Rodgers from Dungloe, Jordan Carty from Donegal Town, and Keelin Gallagher from KillybegsDONEGAL ROCKERS MOJO GOGO NAMED IN TOP FESTIVAL LINE-UP was last modified: January 15th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DONEGAL ROCKERS MOJO GOGO NAMED IN TOP FESTIVAL LINE-UPlast_img read more

Man City defender ‘regrets’ being caught up in Belgian street brawl

first_imgManchester City defender Jason Denayer has said he was defending a friend after being caught up in a street brawl in Brussels.Footage has emerged on social media of the Belgium international, who spent the past season on loan at Sunderland, kicking out at a man who is punching another man on the ground.The incident occurred outside a nightclub sometime after dawn on Sunday morning.Denayer, 21, says he and his friend were leaving the nightclub when his friend became caught up in an argument which developed into a fight.Two different video clips of the incident are circulating but the longest version shows Denayer initially reluctant to intervene and only does so after his friend is pinned to the ground.In a statement released by his management company, Denayer said: “Of course I regret to have been caught up in a conflict that was not mine to begin with.“I was heading towards my car when I heard a friend screaming out in the street. I ran back when I saw how a man threw my friend on the ground and sat on top of him while hitting him badly.“I saw that my friend was in real danger and I had to interfere. I reacted instinctively, as my only purpose was to protect my friend.”The footage then shows more people becoming involved in the fight. It is understood that Denayer, who is a teetotaller and was to drive his friend home, then managed to break free along with his friend. They encountered some difficulties reaching the car but managed to get away.Denayer had been back home in Belgium for the weekend but is now in Dubai on a pre-planned holiday.The player’s agent, Jesse De Preter, has stressed the importance of understanding the full story rather than making judgements from an eight-second clip of the incident which is being widely circulated.De Preter said: “The images shown in the video are just a part of the story. Jason has explained to us in detail how things have played out and we have no reason to doubt his words.“Jason was not initially involved in the fight. His reaction was to help out his friend and get the aggressor to stop. It was a case of instinctive protection in what was clearly an emergency situation.”De Preter added Denayer was not facing any charges while City have declined to comment on the matter. Jason Denayer: The Belgian defender spent 2016/17 on loan at Sunderland 1last_img read more

GAA: NAOMH COLUMBA GAA CLUB NOTES

first_imgNaomh Columba NotesOur Seniors and Reserves got there league up and running on sat last away to St Nauls unfortunatly both teams came away empty handed , They Play at home to burt on Easter Monday9th of april check fixtures for times . The Juniors get their season going on Sat 7th of apr  away to St Eunans at 7pm. U16 had a good win away to N Brid they play Kilcar at home Mon the 9th of April at 7pm. U14 training on Fri 6th of april at 12pm. Minor Board Meeting on Thurs 5th of April at 830pm Senior Board Meeting on Fri 6th of april at 9pm. Lotto 27/3/12 £3,100 numbers were 8 9 27 28 no winner Consolation prizes £50 Pat McGlynn Fintown £30 Damien Carr Meenadreen £20 Eimer Haughey Teelin £20 John McNellis Sliabh Liague Avu £20 Harry Holden Carrick Lotto for 3/4/12 £3,200GAA: NAOMH COLUMBA GAA CLUB NOTES was last modified: April 2nd, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAA: NAOMH COLUMBA GAA CLUB NOTESlast_img read more