Sakkari upsets Venus Williams to reach Silicon Valley semis Gov’t in no rush to rescue animals in Taal Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Houston Astros starting pitcher Justin Verlander, center, is congratulated after being taken out of the baseball game during the eighth inning against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Friday, Aug. 3, 2018, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)LOS ANGELES — In a game dripping with World Series nostalgia, not everybody was willing to embrace the symbolism Friday after the Houston Astros earned a 2-1 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium.Justin Verlander struck out 14 Dodgers and George Springer brought home two runs on double as the Astros appeared to pick up where last fall’s World Series ended: In a Game 7 victory for Houston.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Dodgers: RHP Erik Goeddel (right lat inflammation) was placed on the 10-day disabled list opening a roster spot for RHP John Axford, who was acquired in a trade from the Toronto Blue Jays on Tuesday. … LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu (left groin strain) will have another rehab outing next week, possibly at Triple-A Oklahoma City, after throwing four scoreless innings for Single-A Rancho Cucamonga on Thursday. … LHP Tony Cingrani (left shoulder strain) received a cortisone shot after a setback in his recovery, but is expected to resume activity next week after a new MRI showed no significant damage in his shoulder.UP NEXTAstros: RHP Lance McCullers (10-6, 4.06 ERA) will pitch Saturday, coming off his fourth career 11-strikeout performance Sunday against the Rangers.Dodgers: RHP Kenta Maeda (7-6, 3.48) will make his first career regular-season appearance against the Astros on Saturday.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES But Astros manager A.J. Hinch knows there are still two more games remaining in this series so he wasn’t ready to raise a banner for this one.“We’ve had good vibes since then too,” Hinch said, when asked about last fall. “This is a good place, but let’s not overdramatize it. It’s just a series.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’Perhaps. But none of the players seemed to treat it that way.Verlander was willing to admit that it meant more. In no way was Friday’s game anywhere near a World Series environment, but for a regular-season game in August, the right-hander was impressed. He seemed motivated as well while tying a season high for strikeouts. Peza offers relief to ecozone firms Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ “This is not your average ballgame midweek, this is a big atmosphere, great ballclub with World Series aspirations and we played them in the World Series last year,” Verlander said. “We beat them and we’re in their ballpark. It kind of adds up to a great atmosphere. I expected nothing less and I didn’t feel disappointed. The fans were awesome.”Verlander won his first career regular-season start at Dodger Stadium, giving up one run on four hits over 7 2/3 innings. He pitched well in last year’s World Series but had a loss and a no-decision in his two starts.Springer was the unquestioned star of last year’s World Series against the Dodgers. He had five home runs, including homers in games 4, 5, 6 and 7. It appeared to be more of the same Friday when he worked a walk in the first inning and ripped an RBI double to left in the second that brought home a second run when center fielder Cody Bellinger mishandled the ball. Springer did not think the two runs would be enough.“Not with the past experience with those guys over there,” Springer said. “But our guy (Verlander) was lights out again today. He was in control of the game from the start and he threw the ball well.”The Dodgers’ Joc Pederson led off in the first inning with a home run off Verlander. It was his second straight game he’s led off with a homer and fifth time this season. He has eight in his career.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. After winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk Offense was hard to come by after that for the Dodgers. Chris Taylor had singles in the third and eighth innings off Verlander. Bellinger had a single in the fourth.“We have success when we don’t try to do too much off him,” Bellinger said. “We just look for hard hits. Verlander gets stronger as the game goes on which is pretty crazy. It’s hard to hit.”Verlander struck out the side in both the second and fourth innings and set down Pederson in the eighth inning for his 14th and final strikeout before he was removed. Astros reliever Hector Rondon recorded the final four outs for his 11th save.Wood (7-6) went six innings, but after a visit from a member of the Dodgers medical staff, he was removed as he came out to warm up in the seventh inning. Wood gave up two runs on four hits with four strikeouts and three walks and was diagnosed with the same hamstring cramp that plagued him earlier in the year.“I feel like my last couple of games my stuff has been the best consistently it’s just kind of dotting and nasty,” Wood said. “I’ve been working on getting my hand up and I think my command is hurt a little from that, but the direction I’ve been heading in feels good. I’m trying to shorten my arm swing and have seen that work in the quality of my stuff.”RETIREMENT ‘DREDodgers OF Andre Ethier, who drove in Los Angeles’ only run in Game 7 of last year’s World Series defeat, officially announced his retirement with an on-field ceremony Friday.Ethier, who has not played with any team this season, hit 162 home runs with a .285 batting average in 12 seasons, all with the Dodgers. He was limited to just 38 regular season games the past two years because of multiple injuries.TRAINER’S ROOMAstros: SS Carlos Correa (lower back soreness) played seven innings Thursday on a rehab assignment with Double-A Corpus Christi, was given a day off Friday and is scheduled to play both Saturday and Sunday. … 2B Jose Altuve (right knee soreness) is eligible to come off the disabled list Tuesday, but manager A.J. Hinch said he is not confident Altuve will play in Tuesday’s game at San Francisco. … C Brian McCann (arthroscopic knee surgery) got into a catcher’s squat Friday for the first time since his early July surgery and will start working to build up his strength.
The suspect wanted in connection with the Father’s Day killing of 38-year-old John Choong, remains at large.Guyana Times learnt on Saturday that Police searches garnered no results as the young man remains on the run. Relatives, who continue to check with Police for updates on the investigation, remain hopeful that the suspect will be found.Choong, a former resident of Sisters Village, West Bank Demerara, and a father of three, sustained head injuries during an altercation with the suspect at a dominoes competition on Father’s Day and died two days later while receiving treatment at the West Demerara Regional Hospital.After the man’s demise, the suspect, who was said to be in his early 20s, went into hiding, fearing that he would be incarcerated for the man’s death. The deceased was an employee at the Wales Sugar Estate up to 2017 but later took up employment as a hire car operator to provide for his family. His spouse is a housewife.Choong, who often played dominoes at Sideline Dam, Sisters Village on weekends with other men in the area, was killed while being engaged in his favourite pastime. Reports were that sometime after midnight on June 16, 2018, he and the suspect got into an argument and then a scuffle.The now dead man was reportedly pushed into a nearby drain where he hit his head.It was further reported that Choong received 10 stiches to his head before being dischargeded from the West Demerara Regional Hospital on June 17, 2018.He, however, went back to the Hospital on June 18 to clean the wound. On June 19, when he revisited the medical facility, he was admitted and succumbed one day later. A post-mortem proved that he died as a result of cerebral haemorrhage. This newspaper reported that the late Choong and the suspect had settled the matter before Choong’s wound became septic.
Under 14 club volleyball teams from Peace River, Dawson Creek, Grimshaw, Grande Prairie, and the Northern B.C. Ice were at North Peace Secondary School on Saturday to see how they stacked up against each other in a tournament. In the end it was Grimshaw emerging as the winners over Dawson Creek.As for the Ice they had a younger squad at the event. Even though it was an under 14 tournament the majority of the players were 11 and 12 years old.“We’re a pretty new team. It’s a big development year for us. We want them to get some experience and touches on the ball,” said coach Darren Schmidt. “This is the third tournament we’ve been in this year. They’ve been doing well. The first tournament was rough but we’ve made a lot of progress throughout the season.”- Advertisement -The team finished last in the standings but look forward to continuing to develop their skills.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers claims he is the best man for the job at Anfield – despite the club enduring a disappointing season so far.The former Swansea boss steered the Reds to second in the Premier League last season, but look destined to finish outside of the top four this campaign.His side also suffered a semi-final FA Cup exit at the hands of Aston Villa on Sunday to continue the 42-year-old’s run without winning a trophy as Liverpool manager.However, Rodgers was adamant in defending his position at the club’s helm, insititing there is nobody better suited to the role.“I don’t think there is anyone better, that is the reality of how I see it,” he said.“Whenever you are at a club like Liverpool you will have many names mentioned.“There is absolutely no problem with that, it is something that happens all the time if you lose a couple of games.“You had former managers linked with the job before and that will continue whether you are good, bad or indifferent.“Three months ago I was a tactical genius and performing to a good level and we lost a couple of games, some important games, and maybe were not so good but I feel the same now with what I did back then.“I have a strong relationship with the owners and the partnership who run the club.“They understand, like when we spoke at the beginning, this was going to be a process, this is not a group of ready-made players who were used to winning.“I’ve not taken over a machine that was winning trophies for 10 years.“That is something we are clear on but of course we want to be better next year.” 1 Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers
Chelsea and Liverpool target Carlos Bacca is happy at AC Milan, according to the striker’s agent.The Colombia international has been in fine form this season and has 15 goals in all competitions.The 29-year-old only moved to the San Siro last summer, but there is already talk he could be off at the end of the season.Chelsea and Liverpool have both been linked with moves for Bacca, while Carlo Ancelotti reportedly wants to sign him for Bayern Munich when he takes over in the summer.However, the striker’s agent, Sergio Barila, claims that his client is very happy in Milan right now.“It’s nice that so many clubs in Europe are following him,” Barila told MilanNews.“It’s normal when these teams are looking for a great striker for next season. Bacca is one of the best strikers in the world, but he has a contract with Milan.“He’s very happy with the Rossoneri, he’s concentrated on the Coppa Italia final and the last few games of the season.” 1 Carlos Bacca [left] in action for AC Milan
Mauricio Pochettino’s Tottenham team travel to Stoke on Monday night It’s not over yet, Tottenham fans.Yes, the title is still possible, with Leicester dropping points against West Ham in a 2-2 draw.It was almost perfect, though, as the Hammers came from 1-0 down to take a 2-1 lead only for the Foxes to score a penalty in stoppage time.Tottenham play Stoke on Monday night and can close the gap at the top to five points with victory and fans are already looking ahead to the match at the Britannia. 1
1 Arsenal are reportedly looking to scupper Everton’s plans to sign AC Milan forward M’Baye Niang.The 22-year-old has been on the Serie A giants books’ for the past five seasons after joining them from French club Caen.During that time he’s enjoyed three separate loan spells away from the San Siro in a bid to gain first-team experience.Niang spent the second half of last season on loan at Watford and it seems his performances during his short stint at Vicarage Road have caught the attention of both Ronald Koeman and Arsene Wenger.And, according to Tutto Mercato, Wenger has set his sights on a potential move for Niang when the window opens next month.Everton currently have the edge in the chase as they have already held talks with AC Milan regarding the player, but the Toffees might have to speed up their approach in order to keep Arsenal at bay. M’Baye Niang in action for Watford
A young driver who was caught doing doughnuts and then led Gardai on a 15km chase has been fined €500 and banned from driving for two years.Letterkenny courthouse.Daniel Moran appeared at Letterkenny District Court today after being sent on a driving course by Judge Paul Kelly. Moran, 21, who had been charged with dangerous driving, appeared again to see what sentence Judge Kelly would impose on him.Judge Kelly recalled the case and described it as one of the worst cases of dangerous driving he had encountered.However having read the probation report on Moran, of Kilcoona, Headford in Galway, he said it appeared to be a one off case.The incident itself had taken place on June 21st last with Gardai being forced to deploy a stinger device to stop Moran as he drove between Kilross Junction and Drumkeen.Judge Kelly said Moran’s demeanor and the probation report suggested he was at a very low risk of reoffending.“You’re a lucky young man Mr Moran to have support of your family and you’re even more fortunate you are actually here.“The way you drove that night with yourself and your girlfriend, you could have come to a very sorry end,” he said.He fined Moran €250 each on two separate dangerous driving charges and disqualified him from driving for two years for each charge to be served concurrently.YOUNG MAN WHO DID DOUGHNUTS AND LED GARDAI ON A 15KM CHASE IS BANNED was last modified: October 6th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:dangerous drivingDaniel MorandonegalDrumkeenletterkenny
CHICAGO — Homer Bailey had been largely successful against the Chicago Cubs in 20 career starts — going 8-5 with a 4.86 ERA in 20 starts through a 12-year run with the Cincinnati Reds.But two pitches went awry in Wednesday’s middle innings and torpedoed Bailey’s 21st career appearance and first for the A’s against the Cubs.One resulted in a run-scoring single by Javier Baez and the second turned into a grand slam by Ian Happ in the fourth inning as the Cubs rolled to a 10-1 victory in the …
7 March 2013South African food assurance company Food Safety Assessment has been acquired by British product-testing group Intertek, the company announced on Monday.The deal will expand London-headquartered Intertek’s capacity and allow it to provide auditing, training and certification to food producers and manufacturers both in South Africa and in the rest of the sub-Saharan African region.“By combining Intertek’s global presence and capabilities with FSA’s position as a leader in food supply chain assurance in southern Africa, we can extend a full service solution to the food industry,” Intertek’s senior vice president of food services, Chetan Parmar, said in a statement.FSA has built a reputation for its auditing services to the retail and food services industries, particularly with food safety management services.The deal will enable FSA to support its customers’ international food supply chain needs, and Intertek to support its global clients operating in sub-Saharan Africa.FSA will also be able to offer a larger number of accredited certifications, including ISO 22000 (Food Safety), FSSC 22000 (Food Safety), HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points), ISO 9001 (Quality Management Systems) as well as Good Catering Practices, Workplace Conditions Assessment.“FSA has a service focus dedicated to adding progressive value to customers products and processes, supporting their success in the global and local markets,” said a managing member of FSA, Donna Crockart.“Increased consumer awareness, globalisation and the demand for safe food has led the food industry to demand more food safety management systems,” Parmar said.“This, coupled with local and international developments within African markets, has led to an increasing demand for local quality services within a global framework.”SAinfo reporter